These Greek Meatballs made with lamb or ground beef is the perfect fix for a craving. We like these over a spinach salad, stuffed in a pita or just by themselves with a hefty serving of tzatziki sauce.
I LOVE Greek Food! This dish is super easy to make. All you’ll need is a wire rack and baking sheet.
How to make Greek Meatballs with Lamb or Beef
We lucked out and found some ground lamb on sale at our local grocery store. Ground beef is sometimes easier to find and a lot easier on the wallet. Ground turkey is a healthier alternative. Any option will work just fine!
I add all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and mix together with my hands. Get in there and really mix it up. Then, form 1 inch meatballs and place on a wire rack over a baking sheet. If you don’t have a wire rack, line a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
Several recipes noted to only broil the meatballs, instead of bake then broil. I prefer to bake first in order to not end up with a burned up outside and under-cooked inside. Then, I crank the broiler up to get the crusty, browned outside. The cooking time is only about 20 minutes total.
Toppings for Lamb or Beef Gyros
If we are making gyros, we use naan bread. Otherwise, we stuff the meatballs into a piece of pita bread.
Popular toppings for Greek meatballs are pickled red onion, tzatziki sauce, tomatoes, cucumber… you can really top with whatever you like!
- 1 lb. Ground Beef or Lamb
- Cooking Spray
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Dried Rosemary
- 1 tsp. Dried Fennel
- 1/2 tsp. Dried Oregano
- Sliced Red Onions
- Diced Cucumbers
- Pita Bread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a large baking sheet (or wire rack) with cooking spray.
- To a large mixing bowl, combine all meatball ingredients and mix by hand until well-blended.
- Roll meat mixture into 1-inch balls and place on baking sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes or until the internal temperature of the meat reads 165 degrees with a meat thermometer.
- If desired, turn boiler on high to brown and crust outside of meatballs.
- Serve with toppings inside a pita or with a side dish.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 354Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 395mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 31g
The nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate generated by a calculator.