This baked balsamic chicken breasts recipe is the answer to a date night in or a delicious weeknight meal for two. Tender and juicy, this meal is a one pan wonder made in just 30 minutes.
I love recipes that do double-duty. This recipe would be great for a date night in or a great weeknight dinner. It’s protein and a side dish all in one pan…restaurant worthy for a pinch of the price!
This recipe has such great flavor: tangy balsamic vinegar, whole grain mustard, then with the softness of rosemary. Making this in the cast iron skillet gives the chicken additional flavor and easy to pop in the oven to finish off the dish.
You can always add a simple spinach salad, or another vegetable like roasted asparagus or sauteed green beans.
How to Make Balsamic Chicken Breast
1. Marinate the chicken with balsamic vinegar, mustard, honey, and garlic for at least 20 minutes or up to 1 hour.
TIP: Make the marinade in the morning before you leave for work, then pour over the chicken as you prep the veggies that evening.
2. Chop red potatoes into quarters – about bite size – and add them to the bowl with olive oil and seasoning.
3. Sear the chicken in a cast iron skillet, add potatoes, then roast in the oven.
4. Serve the chicken and potatoes with the pan drippings.
How long does it take to bake a chicken breast?
Generally, it takes about 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breasts and the oven temperature. Use a meat thermometer to know for sure! The internal temperature of a fully cooked chicken breast will read at 165F degrees.
Balsamic Chicken Breasts
- 2 boneless (skinless chicken breasts, (about 1 pound))
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 5 red new potatoes (cut into bite-size pieces)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (plus 1 tablespoon chopped)
- olive oil
Prepare the Marinade:
- Place the uncooked chicken breast in a casserole dish and season generously with salt and pepper.
- In a measuring cup or small mixing bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, mustard, and garlic. Whisk until combined.
- Pour mixture over chicken and turn until fully coated. Marinate for at least 20 minutes or up to 1 hour.
Prepare the Ingredients:
- Wash and dice new potoatoes into bite-sized pieces (about 1 inch in diameter), and add toa medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add chopped onion and chopped rosemary to the same bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine and set aside.
Cook the Chicken
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- Add olive oil to a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot sear the chicken on both sides – about 2 minutes per side.
- Add the potatoes, onion, rosemary to the skillet of chicken and spread evenly around the skillet. Add the remaining sprigs of rosemary on top of chicken.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until potatoes are tender and chicken is cooked through – about 20 minutes. (uncovered)
- Serve the chicken and potatoes with pan drippings.