This baked balsamic chicken breasts recipe is the answer to a date night in or a delicious weeknight meal for two. Tender and juicy, this meal is a one pan wonder made in just 30 minutes.
I love recipes that do double-duty. This recipe would be great for a date night in or a great weeknight dinner. It’s protein and a side dish all in one pan…restaurant worthy for a pinch of the price!
This recipe has such great flavor: tangy balsamic vinegar, whole grain mustard, then with the softness of rosemary. Making this in the cast iron skillet gives the chicken additional flavor and easy to pop in the oven to finish off the dish.
You can always add a simple spinach salad, or another vegetable like roasted asparagus or sauteed green beans.
How to Make Balsamic Chicken Breast
1. Marinate the chicken with balsamic vinegar, mustard, honey, and garlic for at least 20 minutes or up to 1 hour.
TIP: Make the marinade in the morning before you leave for work, then pour over the chicken as you prep the veggies that evening.
2. Chop red potatoes into quarters – about bite size – and add them to the bowl with olive oil and seasoning.
3. Sear the chicken in a cast iron skillet, add potatoes, then roast in the oven.
4. Serve the chicken and potatoes with the pan drippings.
How long does it take to bake a chicken breast?
Generally, it takes about 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breasts and the oven temperature. Use a meat thermometer to know for sure! The internal temperature of a fully cooked chicken breast will read at 165F degrees.
Balsamic Chicken Breasts
This baked balsamic chicken breasts recipe is the answer to a date night in or a delicious weeknight meal. Tender and juicy, this meal is a one pan wonder made in just 30 minutes.
- Two chicken breasts
- 1 yellow onion roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of whole grain mustard
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 5 red new potatoes cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 sprigs of fresh Rosemary plus 1 tablespoon chopped
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the uncooked chicken breast in a casserole dish and season generously with salt and pepper.
- In a measuring cup or small bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, honey, mustard, and garlic. Whisk until combined. Pour mixture over chicken and turn until fully coated. Marinate for at least 20 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile prep potatoes by cutting into bite-size pieces and adding to a medium bowl. Add chopped onion. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and chopped Rosemary.
- Then in a cast iron skillet, over medium-high heat, add oil and heat. When the skillet is hot sear the chicken on both sides – about 2 minutes per side.
- Then add the diced potatoes and onion to the skillet of chicken and spread evenly. Add the sprigs of rosemary on top of chicken.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until potatoes are tender and chicken is cooked through – about 20 minutes. Make sure the skillet is uncovered.
- Serve the chicken and potatoes with pan drippings.