Air fryer hot dogs achieve that nostalgic taste and texture everyone loves without the need to fire up the grill! This simple, fuss-free method results in juicy hot dogs in a matter of minutes. They’re perfect for days when you need a quick, comforting, and satisfying meal.
Growing up, I used to love spending summer evenings with my family gathered around the grill or campfire, and a juicy hot dog with a slightly charred skin was one of my favorites! Nowadays, I don’t always want to go through the trouble of starting up my grill, but I definitely don’t want any boring old boiled hot dogs.
That’s where making hot dogs in the air fryer comes in! They deliver the same great taste as the grill without the hassle of outdoor cooking. Whether you’re making your kids a quick snack or cooking up one for yourself, you won’t be able to get enough of these air fryer hot dogs!
Why I Love This Recipe
- Simple: Just throw the hot dogs in the air fryer and push start! Virtually anyone can make this straightforward recipe, but it turns out unbelievably delicious.
- Quick: It takes all of 5 minutes to make the entire recipe, including toasting the buns.
- Delicious: Using the air fryer results in hot dogs with a slightly crispy exterior and a tender, juicy interior. Plus, it crisps up the buns perfectly!
- Customizable: Create your perfect hot dog by switching up the sausage flavors, adding your favorite condiments, or using gluten-free buns if you have allergies.
Simple Air Fryer Hot Dogs
I think we can all agree that hot dogs have become an iconic item at summer cookouts, camping trips, sporting events, and backyard get-togethers. But, all of those situations require you to be outside, own a grill, or have a campfire, and that’s just not a possibility year-round for a lot of us!
With the invention of this all-purpose appliance, you can now enjoy the taste and texture of perfectly cooked hot dogs in the air fryer in minutes, no matter what time of year it is! That also means easier cleanup, which is always a win in my books.
Serve air fryer hot dogs with your choice of condiments, like ketchup, mustard, relish, and sauerkraut for a fun, customizable, and nostalgic meal the whole family will love.
Ingredients For Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- Hot dog buns: You can use traditional hot dog buns, or try whole wheat buns for a heartier flavor. If you have gluten sensitivities, opt for your favorite gluten-free brand. For a low-carb option, swap out the bun for a lettuce wrap.
- Hot dogs: Since they are the main ingredient, it’s essential to pick high-quality hot dogs. Some good options include Applegate Farms, Hebrew National, Sabrett, Niman Ranch, and Ball Park. Alternatively, try turkey, chicken, or veggie dogs as a substitute.
How to Air Fry Hot Dogs
Step 1: Toast the buns
Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F, then place the hot dog buns in a single layer in the basket. Toast them for about 2 minutes, or until they are browned to your liking. Remove them from the air fryer and set them aside while you cook the hot dogs.
Step 2: Cook the hot dogs
Place the hot dogs in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook them for 3 minutes, or until they are crisped to your liking. For an even better texture, make shallow diagonal slits on the hot dogs before air-frying them.
Step 3: Assemble and serve
When the hot dogs are nice and crispy, serve them inside toasted buns with your favorite condiments and sides!
What To Serve With Air Fryer Hot Dogs
You can dress air fryer hot dogs with classic condiments like ketchup, mustard, and relish. To get a little more creative, try adding toppings like chili, shredded cheese, chopped onions, sauerkraut, or even guacamole.
- Chili cheese dogs: Top with chili and shredded cheese for a loaded hot dog.
- New York style: Add tangy sauerkraut and spicy brown mustard.
- Tex-Mex: Create a Tex-Mex flavor with guacamole, salsa, and pickled jalapeños.
- BBQ: Drizzle on your favorite barbecue sauce and sprinkle crispy onions on top.
- Buffalo: Serve your hot dog with Buffalo sauce and crumbled blue cheese.
Tips For The Best Recipe
- Preheat: Preheat the air fryer for 3-5 minutes for the most even cooking.
- Avoid overcrowding: Make sure the hot dogs have room in the basket and aren’t overcrowded. You can cook the hot dogs in batches if you need to.
- Toast the buns: Remember to toast the buns for extra flavor and texture.
- Cooking time: If you’re using frozen or pre-cooked hot dogs, just be mindful of the cooking times as you may need to adjust them.
What To Do With Leftovers
If you have leftover air fryer hot dogs, follow these storage and reheating tips:
- Fridge: Store the cooled hot dogs in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
- Freezer: Once completely cooled, wrap each hot dog in plastic wrap and store them in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 3 months.
- Reheating: Reheat the hot dogs in the air fryer at 350 degrees F for 2-3 minutes, or until they’re heated through. Toast the buns separately.
If you enjoy air fryer hot dogs as much as I do, here are a few more quick and hassle-free recipes to try in this handy kitchen gadget:
- Air Fryer Bagel Bites
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato
- Air Fryer Frozen Pizza Rolls
- Air Fryer Buffalo Wings
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I cook frozen hot dogs in the air fryer?
Yes, but you may need to increase the cooking time accordingly.
Can I cook the hot dogs and buns at the same time?
It’s best to cook the hot dogs and buns separately to ensure optimal cooking of the hot dogs and a crispy toast of the buns.
How do I clean my air fryer after cooking hot dogs?
To clean your air fryer, let it cool, then remove the basket and wipe it clean it a damp cloth or sponge. You can also wipe it with a slice of lemon to remove any odors.
Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- 4 hot dogs
- Your favorite condiments!
- Preheat an air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Place buns in a single layer in the air fryer basket; cook in the preheated air fryer until toasted, about 2 minutes. Remove buns to a plate.
- Place hot dogs in a single layer in the air fryer basket; cook for 3 minutes.
- Serve hot dogs in toasted buns with desired condiments.