A hearty vegetable soup recipe is just what you need on cold winter nights. Full of rich flavor with plenty of vegetables, this is like a big bowl of comfort and warmth!
If you haven’t noticed, I’m into soup recipes that have flexibility. I rarely follow a recipe, but when I created this soup with leftover pulled pork, I had to jot it down. Let me tell ya, this goes great with a slice of southern cornbread!
It’s rich with flavors of Worcestershire sauce, roasted tomatoes, frozen vegetables and a kick from the buffalo sauce. You can make this for game day, hectic weeknights, or for anytime. Just dump in a pot and simmer while you get stuff done!
Why You Should Make this Soup:
- Uses frozen veggies – perfect for throwing together last minute!
- Can simmer all day or made in a flash!
- Uses up leftover pork, beef or chicken! Leave out the meat for a vegetarian option!
- Kids get their veggies!
- Veggies can be subbed for picky eaters!
How to Cook Vegetable Soup
Here’s How to Do it:
1. Roughly chop a yellow onion and saute with a clove of garlic in a dutch oven until translucent.
2. Add leftover meat and stir occasionally until brown bits form on the bottom of the pot. Sometimes the meat will release extra water or moisture…just continue sauteing until the extra moisture evaporates.
3. Add in veggies. I use frozen Lima beans, carrots and okra.
4. Add in one can of stewed tomatoes and diced tomatoes.
5. Add chopped new potatoes and vegetable broth. Season with salt and pepper, chili powder and sauces. Stir until well-combined.
The soup is ready when the potatoes are tender, but I like to cook this all day long to get all the rich flavors!
- 1-1 1/2 pounds leftover pulled pork*
- 5 red new potatoes, cubed
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-12 oz. package of frozen, sliced carrots*
- 1-12 oz. package of frozen Lima beans*
- 1-12 oz. package of frozen, chopped okra*
- 1 -15 oz. can of diced, fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 -15 oz. can of stewed tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons Frank's Hot Sauce
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons of BBQ Sauce (your choice!)
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Roughly chop a yellow onion and saute with garlic in a dutch oven until translucent.
- Add leftover meat and stir occasionally until brown bits form on the bottom of the pot. Sometimes the meat will release extra water or moisture...just continue sauteing until the extra moisture evaporates.
- Add in veggies. I use frozen Lima beans, carrots and okra.
- Add in one can of stewed tomatoes and diced tomatoes.
- Add chopped new potatoes.
- Add vegetable broth and season with salt and pepper, chili powder and sauces. Stir until well-combined.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then simmer for about 3-4 hours until potatoes are tender.
- Pulled pork can be substituted for pulled chicken or beef.
- This recipe calls for frozen vegetables, but fresh vegetables can be used.
- Vegetables are easily substituted for what is available to you!
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 206Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 894mgCarbohydrates 44gFiber 9gSugar 12gProtein 8g