Quick pickled red onions are the best way to get a tangy kick to your salads, tacos, burgers and so much more! Use this recipe for any “refrigerator” pickled vegetables.
Pickling vegetables isn’t always the most convenient solution, but when you need a quick addition to the main entree, these are great to toss in a jar for later.
These are one of the “must have” toppings at any BBQ, cookout, or any summertime meal.
What do you do with pickled red onions?
You can top anything with quick pickled red onions. Here are some of our favorites:
Instructions: How to Pickle Red Onion
It’s as easy as 1-2-3!
- Add all pickling ingredients to a boil and simmer until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the sliced onion and simmer 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool and place in a jar and fridge for at least 1 hour before serving.
Notes about this recipe
- Store the final product in a Mason Jar. Takes up less space in your fridge.
- Use a funnel to drain the vinegar mixture into the mason jar.
- Use tongs to put the onion in the jar.
- Simmer the onion along with the vinegar for about 5 minutes to soften the onion a bit.
- As the onion sits, the flavor intensifies. For best results, allow to marinate overnight!
Tips for slicing the red onion
- We like our onion slices in half moons, so I slice the top and bottom off of the onion and toss the outer layer of crunchy skin.
- Then, I slice the onion in half from top to bottom.
- Then, cut side down, I slice each half in ¼ inch pieces.
How long do pickled red onions last?
Pickled red onions will keep up to a month in the refrigerator. We find these so addictive they never last that long!
Variations (pickling other veggies)
You can also use this recipe to “quick pickle” other veggies like cucumbers, okra, peppers, etc. with one small change…
Instead of red wine vinegar, use regular vinegar. Otherwise, the “red” in the red wine vinegar adds a pink-ish color to the veggies.
How to Pickle Red Onion
- 1 large red onion
- 1 c. apple cider vinegar
- ½ c. red wine vinegar
- ¼ c. sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3-5 Peppercorns
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- Slice the top and bottom off of the onion, then slice in half again from top to bottom, and toss the outer peel.
- Then, cut side down, slice each half in ¼ inch pieces.
- In a medium saucepan, add the vinegars, sugar, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt. Bring to a boil until sugar dissolves.
- Add sliced red onion and stir. Continue to cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let mixture rest until cool.
- Add the onions to a Mason Jar with tongs.
- Using a funnel, carefully more liquid into the jar, and add peppercorns.
- Place the lid on the jar and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving. Overnight is even better!