These air fryer salmon bites are perfect for when you’re craving a quick, simple, and healthy meal. Use this versatile protein for making sushi bowls, serving with fresh vegetables, or bulking up your favorite salads. Customize the seasonings to suit your taste, and enjoy a dish that’s ready in minutes!
I’ve always loved salmon, so when I discovered salmon in the air fryer, I knew it was going to be a game-changer! This dish has now become my go-to for busy weeknights and meal prepping.
Just like my other air fryer recipes, it’s virtually all hands-off and so simple to prepare! You can change up the seasonings from recipe to recipe to make it feel different each time. Some of my favorite flavor combinations include lemon pepper and Old Bay.
Why I Love This Recipe
- Perfect for meal prep: Make a double or triple batch of these air fryer salmon bites for easy lunches and dinners throughout the week.
- Quick: Air frying the salmon bites takes just 5-6 minutes! It’s the perfect option when you’re short on time.
- Healthy: Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. It’s a great source of protein to include in your weekly meal plan.
- Versatile: Pair your air fryer salmon bites with a variety of sides for endless meal options. Think sushi bowls, salads, rice, or air fryer broccoli.
What Are Air Fryer Salmon Bites?
Air fryer salmon bites are a modern twist on a classic dish, with the convenience of an air fryer making it faster and healthier. If you’re looking for a quick, nutritious, and flavor-packed meal, this recipe is the answer!
The bites are tender with a crispy exterior thanks to the air frying process. This simple technique results in a perfectly moist and flaky fish with a golden-brown color. I don’t know what I ever did before I owned this kitchen appliance!
You can enjoy air fryer salmon bites with dip for an appetizer, serve them as part of a spread at a potluck, or pair them alongside roasted vegetables or a salad. You can even include them as part of a sushi or poke bowl.
Ingredients For Air Fryer Salmon Bites
- Salmon: Salmon provides a rich, buttery flavor. You can use any type of salmon you prefer. Atlantic salmon is the most widely available and inexpensive option, but I find sockeye and King salmon (both wild-caught) are the firmest and most flavorful choices.
- Avocado oil: This mild, heart-healthy oil helps the seasonings stick to the salmon. You can also use olive oil or any neutral-flavored vegetable oil.
- Seasonings: Customize the flavor of your salmon bites by using your favorite spice blends. Some options include lemon pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, Old Bay, Cajun seasoning, blackened seasoning, or even a simple mix of salt and pepper.
How To Make Salmon In The Air Fryer
Step 1: Prepare The Salmon
You can use skinless or skin-on salmon filets. If you’re using a skin-on filet, remove the skin by carefully sliding a sharp knife between the skin and the flesh. Then, cut the salmon into 1-inch uniform cubes.
Here is my full tutorial on how to remove salmon skin.
Step 2: Season & Air Fry The Salmon Bites
Once the salmon bites are cubed, preheat your air fryer to 400°F. In a large bowl, toss the salmon with avocado oil and your preferred seasonings. Spread the seasoned salmon bites in a single layer in the air fryer basket, and cook them for 5-6 minutes or until opaque and flaky.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Salmon Bites
Garnish your air fryer salmon recipe with a squeeze of lemon, a sprinkle of fresh herbs, or a drizzle of your favorite sauce.
- Asian-inspired: Use a teriyaki or soy-ginger marinade for an Asian-inspired flavor.
- Mediterranean: Season the bites with garlic, lemon, and oregano.
- Spicy: Add a touch of Sriracha or red pepper flakes for a spicy kick.
- Honey-mustard: Toss the salmon bites in a store-bought or homemade honey-mustard sauce.
- Herb-crusted: Coat the salmon in a mixture of fresh herbs and breadcrumbs.
- BBQ: Toss the salmon bites in your favorite BBQ sauce before cooking them.
- Pesto: Mix the salmon bites with basil pesto for a vibrant and herbaceous finish.
Tips For The Best Recipe
- Quality salmon: Use fresh, high-quality salmon for the best flavor and texture.
- Remove bones: Look for and remove any bones from the salmon before cutting it into cubes.
- Pat dry: Pat the salmon dry before cutting and seasoning it to ensure an even coating.
- Preheat: Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes so the salmon bites cook evenly.
- Don’t overcrowd: Make sure the salmon bites are in a single layer and not overlapping each other to prevent steaming them, resulting in a soggy texture.
- Thermometer: Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness. You want to aim for an internal temperature of 135°F for salmon.
- Adjust the cooking time: You may need to cook the salmon bites for more or less time based on the thickness of your cubes.
- Serve immediately: Serve salmon in the air fryer right away for the best texture.
What To Do With Leftovers
If you have leftover air fryer salmon bites, follow these simple storage and reheating tips:
- Fridge: Store leftover air fryer salmon bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Just make sure they’re completely cooled first.
- Freezer: Wrap the cooled salmon bites in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place them in a freezer-safe container. You can store them for up to 3 months this way.
- Reheating: Reheat the salmon bites in the air fryer at 350°F for 2-3 minutes, or until they are warmed through to your liking.
If you enjoyed this air fryer salmon recipe, take a peek at some more of my favorite appetizers and snacks like these:
- Air Fryer Buffalo Wings
- 3-Ingredient Bisquick Sausage Balls
- Air Fryer Bagel Bites
- Crispy Air Fryer Potatoes
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use frozen salmon for this recipe?
Yes, but be sure to thaw the salmon completely and pat it dry before cutting and seasoning it.
How can I tell when the salmon bites are done?
It’s best to use a meat thermometer to be sure the internal temperature reaches 135°F. If you don’t have one, the salmon bites should appear opaque and flaky.
Can I use other types of fish for this recipe?
You can use other firm, flaky fish, like halibut or cod, but the cooking time, taste, and texture will vary based on the type of fish.
Can I cook the salmon bites in a conventional oven?
Absolutely! If you don’t own an air fryer, you can bake the salmon bites at 425°F for 8-10 minutes, or until opaque and flaky.
Can I leave the skin on for this recipe?
It’s best to remove the skin for a better texture and more even cooking.
Quick and Easy Air Fryer Salmon Bites
- 8 oz salmon (skin removed)
- 1 teaspoon Avocado oil
- Seasonings of your choice
#1 – Remove Salmon Skin
- Using a sharp knife, make a shallow cut between the skin and the flesh of the salmon (about an inch in).
- Then, carefully slide the knife along the length of the fillet at an angle. Keep the blade as close to the skin as possible. Gently pull the skin away as continue to slide the knife between the skin and the flesh.
#2 Prepare + Cook Salmon
- Preheat air fryer to 400° F.
- Cut salmon into 1 inch uniform cubes and place in a large bowl. Remove any stray bones you find.
- Drizzle salmon with avocado oil. Toss with seasoning to coat.
- Spread salmon evenly in one layer in air fryer basket.
- Cook at 400° F for 5-6 minutes or until salmon is cooked to desired doneness. (optimal temperature is 135)
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder
- Classic mix of salt and pepper
- Blackened Seasoning
- Old Bay/cajun seasoning