This make ahead green bean casserole is made from scratch in under 30 minutes! A twist on a classic holiday side dish your family will love!
In fact, if you are hosting for the holidays, you should definitely download my free holiday hosting guide. It’s a life saver!
The Ultimate Holiday Hosting Guide
Complete guide including a timeline, menu, recipes, shopping list, checklist and more!
Green Bean Casserole is my mother-in-law’s favorite Thanksgiving side dish. When I realized this was going to be a staple for every holiday meal, I wanted to figure out a better solution to using the canned stuff.
Try my sauteed green beans with almonds for a healthier green bean side!
I do use the classic French’s Fried Onions on top, but if you want to make your own, go for it!
They also have other variations of the original flavor, like a caramelized version, jalapeno, dill pickle, red pepper and white cheddar. Give this a shot for a different twist in flavor!
Why You Should Make this from Scratch:
- The whole recipe takes 30 minutes from start to finish.
- It uses fresh ingredients instead of canned goop.
- The recipe is very forgiving.
- It’s inexpensive to make.
Ingredients for Green Bean Casserole:
- Fresh Green Beans (frozen works, too!)
- Cremini Mushrooms
- Whole Milk
- Parmesan Cheese
- Water Chestnuts
- Fried Onions
How to Make Green Bean Casserole Ahead of Time
In the recipe card below, follow the instructions until baking. Placed the uncooked casserole dish in the refrigerator and cover the dish with foil. Then, pull the dish out about 30 minutes before baking and proceed with the recipe!
Make Ahead Green Bean Casserole
- 1 pound green beans thawed and well-drained
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 1 8 ounce package, sliced cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 large shallot chopped
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 3 cups of whole milk
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan Cheese shredded
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 8 ounce can water chestnuts, diced and drained
- 1 cup crispy French's Fried Onions
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees and grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
- To a large dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and shallot, and cook until mixture is brown and caramelized - about 7-10 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a plate, and do not wipe or rinse your dutch oven. Any toasted on bits has so much flavor!
- Add butter to the same dutch oven over medium-high heat. Then, add flour, whisking constantly. Then, gradually add in milk and whisk until smooth. Continue cooking until the flour, milk and butter thicken and begin to bubble - about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the Parmesan cheese, kosher salt and pepper. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Stir in green beans, mushroom mixture and water chestnuts. Transfer the mixture to the 9x13 casserole dish.
- Bake, uncovered, until bubbly - about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with the fried onions and continue baking until the topping is golden brown - about 10-15 minutes.